Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer review

I've been curious about Hourglass products for a while. But for some reason, not too many of the products appealed to me. The Liquid lipsticks looked lovely, but my local Sephora didn't carry them. Bummer.

I was browsing Sephora a few weeks ago thinking of trying out a face primer. I considered a lot of them including the Tarte primer, and the Laura Mercier primers. I almost never wear primer but wanted something for my sister's wedding to make sure my foundation stayed in place.  Primers usually do nothing for me so I didn't really want to spend a fortune, but I thought I'd give something a try, since I hadn't worn any in a while. Who knows - maybe my skin had changed?

Well, my skin hasn't changed. It does not really jive with primer. However, I was still pleasantly surprised with this product.


First off, this product is pretty much pure silicone. So if you're not a fan of this, which I personally am usually not, I'd say to skip this one. However, if you're familiar with the Smashbox Photofinish primer, the Hourglass primer isn't the same type of silicone primer. The Hourglass primer is very very thin in texture. It does not feel like you are coating your face with a layer, which is how I felt about the Smashbox primer. It has a milky fluid texture, and blends in effortlessly. Because the product is so thin, you need the smallest amount to cover your face - a full pump is way too much in my opinion. It is completely lightweight, and does not feel like much of anything after blended on the skin. Your skin will feel soft, but almost like you've just exfoliated rather than put anything on it.

The picture above shows these features, but this primer does not contain oil, parabens, fragrance, sulfate, dyes, nanoparticles, phthalates, is vegan, and contains SPF 15. I'm not sure if that's normal in primers, as I'm not too familiar with them, but it's pretty impressive. Primers and silicones tend to irritate my skin and clog my pores, so I try not to use silicone heavy products too much. This did not irritate my skin at all - perhaps because it is so lightweight?

Now did it do what primers are supposed to do? Well, yes and no. I found it did not help keep oil at bay. My skin is very oily, and nothing really does, so I'm not terribly disappointed by this. However, what I'm very happy about, is that my foundation looked a lot fresher at the end of my day. Most foundations tend to separate a bit on my face by the end of the day - usually in the sense that most of the foundation on my face is concentrated around my brows and nose. The Hourglass primer definitely kept my foundation from slipping.

I'm glad I only purchased the tiny little 10ml bottle though (C$21.00). I don't see so much of a difference to feel the need to use it every day, but it is nice to have around for special occasions or for very long work days. You need such a small amount that I could never see myself use the full bottle. So if you're considering this product, go for the 10ml bottle and try it out. I think it's definitely worth it!

Do you have a favorite primer?

No comments:

Post a Comment