Thursday, February 4, 2016

A Review of the Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Concealer - Y23


Ah yes, the famed Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Concealer. This product has gotten a lot of hype recently, and with good reason.

The Ultra HD Concealer comes in two sets of shades - the R shades that are peachier for correcting darkness on your skin, and the Y shades for general concealing. They can be used separately, or together by layering the product to completely mask any imperfection. 


I received shade Y23 for review which is a perfect match for my skin tone. Surprisingly, the concealer has an even lighter shade than that - I'm usually the lightest shade!

This concealer is incredibly pigmented. In the picture below is an example of how much you need to conceal your under-eye area. Basically, the tiniest little drop. The applicator is a plastic tip, which is nothing special in itself, but it dispenses the product very little at a time. Luckily, there isn't much of a chance of over-doing it.


The product applies beautifully - I've used it with my fingers, a synthetic concealer blending brush as well as with a Beauty Blender. I personally prefer using it with a small concealer buffing brush or the Beauty Blender. I find that using my fingers can make the product stick to my fingers rather than to my skin. The formula is a bit tacky, so my fingers can cause it to lift from my skin, especially if you are spreading the product around. Patting it lightly works perfectly fine, though, but ain't nobody got time for that. And I certainly don't have the patience. So buffing brush it is!


I've used this product to cover my dark circles and it works wonderfully, leaving a brightening effect under my eye. It leaves my skin looking like skin and not caked with product. It is worth noting that unless you have a very smooth under eye, you most likely will have to set this product with powder. I did experience a tiny bit of creasing closer to my inner corner without powdering. With powdering, I experienced no creasing - and I always set my under eye so it's not a problem for me. To test this product fully, I've also used it around my nose, my forehead and some blemishes and I'm happy to report that it works quite well. I think that in the future I'll be less inclined to use it on my blemishes simply because the formula is so thin. The concealer stayed on my skin all day without fading when set with powder.

I hope this review was helpful in deciding whether this is a product for you. If you're looking for a darkness cancelling under eye concealer, I'd suggest checking out the R range of shades, but if you're looking for more of brightening effect, with good concealing properties, I'd say this product might be for you. The product is not cheap selling at Sephora for C$32.00, so I suggest you give it a try in store before purchasing. However, with the extremely pigmented formula, this concealer will last you a long time for the price point!

* I have received this product for consideration, but my opinions are always my own. I am not being compensated for this review and I always strive to review products with honesty.

No comments:

Post a Comment