Thursday, January 21, 2016

2015 Makeup Favorites and Decluttering


This is a little late, I'll admit, but  I thought it would be fun to take a look at my favorite and most used makeup products of 2015.

Honestly, 2015 was not the year I bought many cosmetics and beauty products. In fact, the only pieces I purchased were (mostly) bits for my wedding makeup. In 2015, I started appreciating what makes a product be exceptional. Instead of breezing through products to test them out, I really took my time to use up things. Which leads us to today - the most tested and true favorites I've ever done!


Where would I be without my trusty Bourgeois Healthy Mix Powder. My Shoppers Drug Mart was out of my shade, so I thought I'd give the Rimmel Stay Matte another try and I was sadly disappointing. Nothing compares. I don't know what it is about the Healthy Mix Powder, but it is truly perfect for my skin. It doesn't appear powdery on the skin, it applies so beautifully and leaves my skin matte. Standout blushes for me this year were my trusty Tarte Exposed Blush, which, to be honest, is probably expired, and my Clinique Cheek Pop Blush in Plum Pop. While Tarte's Exposed is the perfect pinky nude, goes with everything, blush, Clinique's Plum Pop is the perfect healthy flush needed with a more minimal makeup look. Both got a ton of use in 2015.

I took serious care of my brows in 2015. A makeup artist suggested I grow them out a little at a NYE party last year, and I took that to heart. To keep them in check, I've used the Clinique Superfine Liner for Brows and the Clinique Just Browsing Brush-On Styling Mousse. I think I re-purchased both about 3-4 times during the year which indicates a true beauty staple!


As for lips, I pretty much only used my Nars Dolce Vita lipstick (a classic) and as of September, my Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in Rush. The Rush shade was actually my wedding lipstick - it was the perfect pinky-mauve to add a bit of color to my lips without being too obvious. I loved it. Another well used product in 2015 was the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Liquid. I got a travel sized version and used it all year, weirdly enough, on my cupid's bow. It gives the illusion of fuller lips!

Finally, in my list of most used products of 2015 is my Tarte CC Undereye Corrector in Light Medium and the L'Oreal Infaillible Pro-Matte Foundation. I bought the concealer it in the summer when I was looking for something to cover up/correct my dark circles for the wedding and while it's a bit dark for me, it blends beautifully and looks great under my eyes. Definitely a stand out product. If you haven't tried out the ever so popular L'Oreal Infallible Pro-Matte Foundation yet, give it a go, you won't regret it. I never thought I'd like a drugstore foundation (how snobby does that sound!) but this foundation is amazing. It gives the smoothest most natural satiny matte finish. And it's so cheap!

This month, I've also taken the time to seriously de-clutter my makeup stash. Of course, I know I could de-clutter even more, but for now, I'm happy with how things are. My mom was able to receive products she enjoys (you're welcome mom) and I'm finding a bit of breathing room in there. I realized I do not own one single (non-expired) nude blush. And my lipsticks... I got rid of a lot. A lot of them were just too old to even salvage.


I was having a conversation about makeup with my husband, telling him that I got rid of a lot of makeup because it had expired. He looked at me with a shocked face and said "makeup expires?!". After that conversation, it dawned on me, yeah, makeup expires. Why acquire tons of makeup when there's no possible way to use it up? Of course, the whole point of makeup is to have fun, and to make yourself feel more confident, enhance your own natural beauty. But I think 2016 is the year where I will keep that in mind that makeup expires. I don't want to ever throw away makeup like I did this past month. It's so wasteful.

I hope that you found this post interesting. I'd love to hear what your 2015 favorites were! Please leave a comment below or tweet me @smallthingslife!

No comments:

Post a Comment