Revlon kindly sent me the shade Backstage to review and I must say, I'm kind of amazed. First off, this product is very strange in application. While is applied very kind of glossy, it does settle in your lips into a, you guessed it, suede finish. I wouldn't say it's completely matte, but it definitely does not have a shine after 30 minutes. When more time passes by, the shine disappears completely, and you're left with a matte/stain. So, unlike most matte lipsticks, this lipstick literally glides on as smoothly as their Lip Butters, but then turns into a matte lipstick... eventually. Makes for a pretty easy application! I didn't find this lipstick drying and it didn't leave my lips wanting balm when it was wearing off. Once the matte finish "settled" it didn't budge for a long time (5+ hours in my experience).
This is what it looks like immediately after swatching on my hand. It's kind of glossy, and almost patchy.
And this is what it looks like on. In the second picture, you can see the lipstick is a bit more matte.
I thought this lipstick deserved a very simple makeup look, so here's the breakdown:
- Clinique Stay-Matte Oil Free Foundation (this is a new one... so far, I'm indifferent)
- MAC's Brun softly in the brows + Anastasia brow gel
- Estee Lauder's Violet Underground beige/pink shade all over lid. This is SUCH a gorgeous shade.
- MAC's Omega in the crease
- Make Up For Ever Smokey Lash mascara
- Tarte Exposed blush
- Revlon Ultimate Suede in Backstage* on lips
Disclaimer: my brows were trimmed and waxed after this... they are out of control!
I think there's something very appealing about a matte lipstick for the holiday season. I love the idea of a matte lipstick and lots of glitter/shimmer everywhere else!
The displays for the Ultimate Suede lipsticks are pretty picked over in my city! I absolutely love the Backstage lipstick but haven't tried the other shades of the line - have you? Do you like them? Are you a fan of matte lipsticks?
* I have received this product for consideration but my opinions are always my own. I am not being compensated for this review and I always strive to review products with honesty.