Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Oh So Special, you sure are Sleek

Sleek has been impressing the heck out of me lately. It's not that I thought it wasn't a good brand, it's that I have limited access to it in Canada, which means I have to order online. This means I can't test it in stores and have to rely on online swatches to see if I'll like Sleek products. Since the Pixiwoos use Sleek eyeshadow palettes constantly in their tutorials, I figured I couldn't go wrong with this Sleek Oh So Special palettes.

I am so impressed by this palette. Seriously, it is amazing. The shadows are (almost) all very pigmented and apply beautifully. Only a couple shades gave me some issues (namely, Gateau and Bow) but I will explain why - I don't think this affected the overall quality of this palette. Plus, I find the colors unique - I can't find exact dupes in my collection. I also think this palette strikes a good balance between matte and shimmery shadows. Most colors you would use in your crease are matte and most shadows you would use on your lid are shimmery - well done Sleek!



I love Sleek's packaging. Simple and classic. And black - that's always a bonus in my book!

Swatches, left to right: (barely visible) Bow, Organza, Ribbon, Gift Basket, Glitz, Celebrate, Pamper, Gateau, The Mail, Boxed, Wrapped Up, Noir

Swatches, in daylight, left to right: (barely visible) Bow, Organza, Ribbon, Gift Basket, Glitz, Celebrate, Pamper, Gateau, The Mail, Boxed, Wrapped Up, Noir

The Noir shade really impressed me in this palette - it is POTENT. This is a swatch of Noir beside MAC's Carbon. Bet you didn't think Carbon sucked until now! I definitely do!

MAC's Sketch on the left and Celebrate on the right.

Now for the tiny disadvantages of this palette. The Bow shade is very chalky and not pigmented - it's barely visible and you could basically use invisible loose powder in its place. I don't know why this was overlooked by Sleek but the only way I can even imagine using it is for blending out shadow. Even then, I'm not sure I would use it. Also, the shade Gateau was VERY soft to the point that I pretty much dented the shadow and had to push it back in the pan because it was crumbling. I'm not sure if that's just me or it's because the shadow is so shimmery. Either way, it's not a huge deal, I just have to be careful when applying it. Consequently, there is a bit of fall out with this shadow as well. Actually, don't load your eyeshadow brush with product as there will be fall out with most of these shadows.

I hope this was helpful to you! I'll hopefully be reviewing more of these palettes - I'm very happy with the quality of them!

Have you been trying any Sleek makeup? What do you think of the shadows? Do you find fall out troublesome with these palettes?

Hope you've had a great start to your week!

10 comments:

  1. I've not tried any Sleek but everything looks tempting! That's a beautiful pallette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awesome! I hear really good things about their matte palette too! :D

      Delete
  2. Great swatches! The colors look so rich and pigmented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They truly are - it's hard to get used to their potency!

      Thanks for the comment! <3

      Delete
  3. I have this palette too and I agree with you: Bow really sucks and, as far as I can tell, Pamper isn't so great either. But I get along really well with Organza, I actually really like it.
    I like your swatches and pictures, they're good. I'll definitelly follow you via GFC and on Twitter :)
    XoXo,
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Bow and Pamper totally suck. Organza is stunning - I'm not a pink eyeshadow type of gal but it's actually quite nice on my skintone!

      Thanks so much for following me! I truly appreciate it! <3

      Delete
  4. Hi Annick, the fallout sounds like a shame--- the colors here are really pretty, esepcially the teal and the pinks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used it since I posted some more and the fallout is quite minimal! I'm more and more impressed every day! :D

      Delete
  5. I've been looking up reviews for this a lot lately as I'm looking to buy my first Sleek palette (exciting) but I can't decide which one to get. This one looks great and your swatches look so nice. It's very interesting to see it next to the MAC shadows, it really shows the quality of this palette.

    - Rhi xx

    ReplyDelete